Gaven, Schelotto, Hejduk .
1. The Crew did nothing too dramatic on SuperDraft day.
Which won't come as much of a shock. They did about what the Crew do.
I was hoping for something a bit startling.. Sort of hoping Columbus would trade both picks to move higher up for a GA player..
A Abu Danladi or Jonathan Lewis.
That was maybe just a bit closer to a sure thing. If there is one.
Hansen and Abubakar could get lost in the Crew shuffle.
Why? Well, Lalas is the 4th center back acquisition this offseason.
2. To be fair one of the two will likely become a stud (thanks Kei), one of the two will likely be not so stud.
Lalas has been followed by Columbus for a while, just over a hour away in Dayton, Ohio. Which is good.
But, on the other hand, he takes up our last international slot. If that had to happen, I was kind of leaning towards Julian Gressel.. Or a high priced international (okay laughs).
Good news is that would likely put Lucas Gamba to bed.
3. Overall, I give the Crew's draft a C. There's qualities and things to like about both Lalas and Niko. But, the Crew draft day just yells a bit safe overall.
Were not a team that will ever spend money.
So, if you're going to shake it up a little, why not in the draft when we find ourselves in probably the most advantageous draft position in a very long while, with two picks in the top ten.
Just think there may have been better ways to go.. Or at least more interesting ways to go for sure.
4. If there's some of this going on with both of them in 2017.. I take it all back.
5. What do you rate the draft as?